My thoughts on writing tips found online and in published works (with some random thoughts thrown into the mix).

Tuesday, June 5, 2012

A Fun Weekend

I apologize for the sporadic posts these past few days. My retail job was short-handed in my old position (customer service manager), so I spent the past three days doing that plus my current position (deli department manager). That means I spent 13+ hours on the clock every day, not counting the hour-long lunch period required each day. While I was happy to help, especially considering the overtime I will be receiving, I am still very glad to have a day off today. I was so exhausted by the end of my shift yesterday rolled around!

While it was a definitely unique experience, I have learned that I have a limit. By the third day, I easily became emotional and, near the end, I become irritable and cranky. I did learn some other important things, though. I already knew how much a deserved "thank you" can mean to someone, but this reinforced it, when my co-manager let me know how much he appreciated the extra effort I was putting in. It made it all worth it in that moment, especially because I look up to him, not only because he's my boss but because I genuinely strive to do well at my job each and every day. Also, my direct supervisor, an assistant manager, proved that he had my back and watches out for me. It's nice to know that I have the support I need and that I can trust my superiors.

Anyway, I guess I just wanted to pass along this information to help out any other bosses or future bosses that may be reading this. When you have people that you are in charge of them, make sure you show your appreciation when they go above and beyond the call of duty. You don't have to praise them for every single little thing, but make sure they know that their hard work is noticed. A little bit of positive reinforcement goes a long way. Also, it is important to keep in mind that you were in their shoes at one point and remember how it felt to be there. That way, you can identify where they are coming from and you can show them that they are not alone, that you are in the proverbial trenches with them, and they can count on you to help them when they need it.

No comments:

Post a Comment