My thoughts on writing tips found online and in published works (with some random thoughts thrown into the mix).

Saturday, June 2, 2012

Make a List

If you are ever stressing out about something, it's a good time to make a list. Lists can make you realize that you have more together than you thought you did, or that you know more than you knew. It can also make you aware of how thankful you should be for what you have, instead of focusing on what you don't have.

The other night, I was starting to freak out a bit because I had so much to do for the wedding. Our location finally got nailed down, so now it's time to seek out a reception location and locate some vendors. This means a lot of time and a lot of meetings. It's a big project to find someone who will work with your ideas and who fits your vision! It just seemed like a lot of work that needed done in a very small time frame. Especially since my fiance is on night shift for another two weeks, then on day shift for a month, so we would need to get everything done before he switched back to nights. I was really getting hyper about it.

Then, I started to think of all the friends I have enlisted for various tasks. Two of the girls I work with are going to do the cake, those two plus another have volunteered for general baked goods, another one is willing to do the flowers, another one is jumping to be my photographer, my sister is excellent with Photoshop and wants to do all the stationary, etc. Once I started making this mental list, I realized how much I really do have worked out. While there are still some vendors that I need to interview, there is not nearly as much as I thought. It helped me relax and made me grateful for all the resourceful, creative, and generous people in my life.

This was just an example, but think about the ramifications. What could making a list do for you? What are you tense about that could be eased by writing a list? Take a minute to write down all your options, resources, and possibilities, and take a breather!

No comments:

Post a Comment