My thoughts on writing tips found online and in published works (with some random thoughts thrown into the mix).

Thursday, September 20, 2012

Bike Riding

This past weekend, I finally retrieved my bicycle from the basement of my parent's house. On Monday, I took it out to the local state park to ride on the 7-mile long paved trail. That first day, I went 2 miles, took a 10 minute break, then rode the 2 miles back to my car. Today, I went back out again. This time, I went 3.5 miles, took a 5 minute break, then rode back to my car for a total of 7 miles. I was amazed that it took less than an hour to ride 7 miles, including some nasty hills! I've been walking this trail for the entire summer, so I am used to a 4-mile trek taking a little less than 2 hours.

I now wonder why I didn't do this sooner. It's so relaxing to feel the wind against my face and the strain of my muscles as I pedal hard. I can feel the stress just sliding away and then disappearing, as if it never existed.  The sun felt so good on my skin! On that trail, I could imagine summer lasting forever.

Unfortunately, that's not true: summer isn't going to last forever. In fact, it's already over. It's autumn now, nearing the end of September and October is approaching fast. By the end of October, if previous years can be used as a reference point, we will have snowfall and below-freezing temperatures. My bike will have to be put away until spring and I'll be stuck inside at the gym instead of outside at the state park. (Not least of all because that trail is used for snowmobiles during winter).

For now, though, I am enjoying every moment I get to take a ride. I'm soaking up the nice weather and pumping the pedals as fast as I can. In my mind, fall is stretching on into the distance and I'm gonna make the best of it!

No comments:

Post a Comment