My thoughts on writing tips found online and in published works (with some random thoughts thrown into the mix).

Thursday, March 15, 2012

Just Do It!

A few days ago, I was reading a post on Jenn Greenleaf's Wearer of Many Hats blog, "Don't PLAN to write...WRITE! (http://jenngreenleaf.blogspot.com/2012/02/dont-plan-to-write-write.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+JennGreenleafWearerOfManyHats+%28Jenn+Greenleaf%3A+Wearer+of+Many+Hats%29). She wrote about the different traps that writers can fall into: spending more time reading blogs, chatting on social networks, and buying books on writing, instead of actually writing.

I think she has a good point. While it is important to do your research and to read what others have written, it should not come before your own writing. You can read as many how-to's as you want, but when it comes time to put pen to paper, practice is the best way to develop your skills.

Now, I am not saying that these things are bad. Interacting with others, reaching out and forming connections, learning things that you would never discover on your own; these are all important aspects of being a writer today. You need to have a prominent online presence and develop a network in order to get your work out there. In reality, I believe that these things are all very good and can lead to a more successful career as a writer.

My biggest point here is that you need to find a balance. Focus on your writing while allowing yourself time to send a few tweets, read a handful of blog posts, and flip through the pages of a new book. Expand your knowledge base in any and every way you can. Just don't forget what your purpose is and remember to divide your time evenly.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for mentioning my blog again! I love reading about what my readers think about what I'm doing over there - this is awesome!

    ReplyDelete